Hello Earthlings! In today’s episode, our host Lisa Ann Pinkerton (CEO of Technica Communications), is joined by David Myers (founder of GridTractor) to explore the future of agriculture. David shares his passion for reducing carbon emissions in agriculture through ⚡️electrification ⚡️
Lisa Ann and David discuss GridTractor and the misconceptions about the farming industry’s adoption of innovative technologies- they’re mostly all for it but turns out, that Mother Nature doesn’t care if you need to launch your pilot program next week, it’s all contingent on seasonal factors!
David also gives examples of how damaging tractors are to the environment- did you know that one mid-size tractor gives off as much emissions as 45-passenger cars? Yikes! They also give context to some common objections against electrifying farm equipment and David clarifies where electrification makes sense (spoiler: we’re not looking to electrify mega tractors like the Big Bud 747 👀).
Restoring Our Faith in Humanity this week, we probably have the cutest story thus far: Catia Lattouf of Mexico City has turned her apartment into a hospital to treat injured and sick hummingbirds! Didn’t think it could get even cuter? Well, buckle up Catia’s first bird patient was named “Gucci” after the designer eyeglasses case that became its temporary shelter. What a bougie bird! Make sure you check out our video episode on YouTube to see the most adorable pictures of Catia with her rescued patients. We salute Catia for reminding us that anyone can make a difference, and even a small, positive contribution can change the world of the smallest creature, like in the case of little Gucci.
- The shift to electric tractors and other farm equipment to reduce carbon emissions and diesel fuel costs, with the potential to significantly lower operational expenses for farmers.
- Vehicle-to-grid technology and on-farm renewable energy sources, like solar power, power electric tractors, store and supply energy back to the grid, enhancing overall energy efficiency and sustainability.
- The balance between economic benefits and environmental impact focuses on how electrification can lead to substantial cost savings for farmers while also contributing to climate change mitigation.
- Hurdles in adopting electric farm vehicles, such as charging infrastructure and technology trust, and predicting a gradual increase in adoption driven by economic incentives and the evolution of technology
Voices on The Show:
- David Meyer, Founder and CEO of GridTractor
- LinkedIn- David Meyer
- GridTractor socials:
- X- @GridTractor
- LinkedIn– GridTractor
- Lisa Ann Pinkerton, Earthlings 2.0 Host, CEO of Technica Communications, and Founder of Women in Cleantech and Sustainability
- LinkedIn: Lisa Ann Pinkerton
- X – Lisa Ann Pinkerton
- Instagram – @LisiAnni
- Technica Communications
- Women in Cleantech and Sustainability
Mentioned in The Show:
- Gridtractor website
Restoring Faith in Humanity Spotlight:
Catia Lattouf’s Hummingbird Hospital